Monday, September 10, 2012

Pulled Chicken

This one was unfortunate.  The food was delicious, but the chicken I bought wasn't cleaned as well as they are normally and there were visible feather fibers still on the skin and being a barbecue dish the skin is kind of important.  I made it but I couldn't past those hairs and I didn't eat very much.  Such is life I guess.

 The stuff for the chicken.  No fancy rubs here, just wood chips, salt and pepper. 

The barbecue sauce was a bit more complicated.  Onion, water, garlic, molasses, apple cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, apple cider, pepper, hot sauce, olive oil, liquid smoke (as a substitute for worcestshire sauce, since I dropped and broke the bottle I had about 10 days ago and haven't replaced it), chilli powder and ketchup.  The onion and water went into the food processor to extract the water and then was mixed with all the ingredients except the oil, garlic and spices.

 The garlic and spices sauteed for a minute or so until fragrant.

 The liquid went in and simmered away for about 15 minutes.

 The ingredients for a cabbage, apple fennel slaw.  Red cabbage, dried tarragon, apple, mustard, fennel, pepper, rice vinegar and olive oil.

 I sliced up the cabbage and tossed it with a bit of salt to bring out some of the water.

 The completed chicken after about an hour on the grill.

The finished dish.  Nothing fancy to this plate, and I really really wish I wouldn't have been grossed out by the chicken because that sauce was outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment