Monday, September 3, 2012

Coq au Vin

The last time I made this it was out of the Good Eats cookbook, and in that episode There was a chicken that kept making noises at convenient times and whenever I think about this dish I think of that.  I know I'm weird.

On another note, we're just two weeks away from a huge project and potentially a new direction for the blog.  I'm going to begin cooking my way through the Alinea cookbook.  Alinea is Grant Achatz's other restaurant in Chicago.  It has three Michelin Stars and was voted the 7th best restaurant in the world this year.  Oh and by the way, I have a reservation there in about 6 weeks.

On to the Chicken.

 Looks complicated but it's really simple.  Here we have chicken broth, chicken legs, butter, salt, pepper, mushrooms, flour, thyme, leeks, carrots, tomato paste, peanut oil and white wine.

 On the side I made chive mashed potatoes.  Milk, butter, potatoes and chives fresh from the garden (what's left of it anyway after Tropical Depression Issac made that part of my yard a river on Friday and Saturday).

 Seasoned chicken legs.  Unfortunately I had to use regular table salt in the seasoning because I ran out of kosher salt.  Lord, have I come to loathe table salt. 
 Halfway through the searing process.  I heated a bit of the oil and then put in the chicken.  That crust is why buying a gas stove was the easiest decision I've ever made.
 The completed seared off chicken waiting for the final braise.
 After the chicken finished and most of the oil was poured off the vegetable medley went into the pan.

 After a few minutes of sauteeing, in went garlic and tomato paste.

 Then a quick deglaze with white wine.  The white wine is the classic wine pairing for chicken dishes but ironically enough is a bit unusual in Coq au Vin.  This dish is usually made with red wine.
 After the wine pretty much reduced out the broth and thyme went in along with the seared chicken to braise for a bit.

 The cooked potatoes.

 The final plate.  The potatoes are underneath and the top is the sauteed vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment