Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hide the kids, I ate Donald

Duck that is.  I ate him and brutally overcooked him, and for that I'm sorry.

I first fell in love with duck when I got a sample of it at what I believe was the first restaurant located at the old Ned Kelly's in Bloomington.  I say what I believe was the first because that space has been close to 1/2 dozen different restaurants since Ned Kelly's closed.  Either way, I had a couple bites of it that night, and it.was.awesome.


This is the stuff for the marinade that the duck breasts sat it over night.  Sesame oil, fennel seed, ground ginger, ancho chile powder, white pepper, cinnamon, grapeseed oil, brown sugar, red wine vinegar and chipotle chiles.

Here is the stuff for the relish that was served with the duck.  Onions, jalapeno, rice vinegar, cilantro and pineapple.

The completed relish.

Seasoned duck ready to go into the pan.

Halfway through the cooking.  You can see the beautiful carmelization.  This is the result of a dry, very hot pan, the sugar in the marinade and the super fatty duck skin.

The finished plating.  The duck is about 3 degrees of doneness over cooked.  What happened is after searing for about 3 minutes per side I thought it was still raw in the middle so I put in in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.  This was the result.  In retrospect I should have served it straight out of searing it, I would have gotten a perfectly cooked rare duck breast.   It was delicious but I can't believe that I screwed up something so basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment