Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Chili

Yes I know it's totally the wrong season, but such is life.  Besides ask my mother, I'm a bit weird when it comes to chili.  This version was a pretty simple one from Good Eats 2:  The Middle Years from probably my favorite Good Eats episode ever.  But I digress.


First part of the dish, homemade chili powder, we've got ancho chile powder, dried oregano, garlic powder, cumin, cascabel chile and a pasilla chile.

The whole chiles were toasted a bit in a cast iron skillet.  At the end all the ingredients went into a spice grinder to make the concoction in the second pic.

 All the stuff for chile.  Salt, grapeseed oil, beer, salsa, beef stew meat, tomato paste, chipotle, cumin and tortillas.

The beef got seasoned with a bit of the salt and then seared off in the oil.

After searing the beef the beer went in to deglaze the pan.

After the beer reduced for a bit the rest of the ingredients went in a simmered together for about 90 minutes.  The recipe called for a pressure cooker but a low and slow simmer worked really well to.

The final product.  This was a very awesome version of chile, as should be evidenced by the fact that I have no leftovers.  Smoky, but not too spicy, it was perfect for someone who's not into super spicy food, like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment