Friday, March 30, 2012

Yes I know, more beef

I've been pounding the steak drum pretty hard over the past couple weeks, but it's my first food love.  The one good thing about hitting the same repeatedly in a short period time is that it gives you a chance to hone your skills cooking an item plus you get an opportunity to try different cooking methods.  This one was served with a hollandaise sauce.  I wanted to grill the steak but it appears I'm down one burner on my grill, so I need to get that figured out before I do anymore grilling.

Here's everything ready to go.  We've got a new york strip steak, butter, a lemon juice and salt mixture then egg yolks, water and sugar.

The steak after being cooked off in grapeseed oil in a cast iron pan.

The beginnings of the hollandaise sauce.  The egg yolk water and sugar mixture got whisked for a couple of minutes.

The completed sauce.  To make it I took the inital egg mixture and then whisked the butter in one tablespoon at a time over a pot of simmering water and then the lemon juice mixture got whisked in.  I will say, traditionally hollandaise is one of the more difficult sauces to make mostly because you're trying to emulsify two different types of fat, egg yolk and butter with lemon juice.  But this one worked wonderfully.

The completed presentation.  The garnish is fresh chives from my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment