Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Shrimp Scampi and Cheddar Biscuits

I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but life is too freaking busy right now.  Trying to balance an insane work load with a dog and a girlfriend is overbearing sometimes.  Thankfully, I found out today that reinforcements are on the way in the work world so if all goes to plan, I'll be off of doing things I haven't had to do in a while by the end of the summer.  It's still a long ways away, but at least it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

So enough of my ranting and raving and on to what ya'll come here to read about, my witless banter on food.  This dish was simple enough (thank god considering everything).  I love shrimp and I love biscuits so I knew this one would be a homerun from the beginning. 

First step was to make the biscuit dough.  This required, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar, buttermilk, cheddar cheese, butter and an egg.  I first combined the dry ingredients then combined the butter until the whole mixture was like very lightly wet sand.  Then the cheese, buttermilk and egg went in. 

Once everything had come together this is what the dough looked like.  I let the dough rest until I had prepped all the ingredients for the shrimp then prepared to bake off the biscuits and hopefully time everything right to make sure it was all hot when ready to serve.

No pictures yet, but now that the shrimp stuff was all prepared I put the biscuits in the oven.  I prepped five, fairly evenly sized balls and they went into a 450 degree oven.

Here are the completed biscuits.

All the stuff needed to make the shrimp.  In order to make this dish you need, shrimp, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, butter, chipotle pepper, white wine, olive oil and salt. 


I sauteed the shrimp off until they were most of the way cooked through. 

Now it was time for the garlic to go in. 

In order to deglaze the pan I poured in some of the white wine. 

I finished the sauce with a pat of butter.

Before the shrimp had gone into the pan I mixed the lime juice, cilantro, and chipotles and then once the shrimp were done I tossed the meat and the pan sauce with the lime juice in order to complete the scampi.

I really know I need to quit beating myself up over it, but I hate putting out sloppy plates.  The dish was outstanding just like I had hoped, but ugh, I need some food decoration lessons. 












No comments:

Post a Comment