Saturday, August 10, 2013

Alinea at Home: Idiazabal, Blis Maple Syrup, Smoked Salt

Well I'm back on the train with regards to the Alinea cookbook.  This is one I had to put off and put off because my local grocery store ran out of tapioca flour the week I wanted to buy it and it took at least 2 weeks for them to get it back in stock.  Then once I had it, life got in the way.  But I pulled it off tonight and here is the evidence.


The ingredients for the dough.  Water, olive oil, salt, tapioca flour and idiazabal cheese.  Idiazabal is a spanish sheep's milk cheese.  That is delicious on it's own, but really delicious treated this way.

So all of the ingredients except for the oil were combined to form a dough and once complete the dough was formed between two sheets of plastic wrap to get ready for steaming.

Once the dough was complete it went into a steamer for 25 minutes.  This was the completed dough.

Once the dough had steamed I was ready for the final plating.  The final plating included maple syrup and smoked salt from Blis and powdered maple syrup.

I cut the dough into strips and then fried it in some olive oil.  This pic is the strips as they start the frying process.


Here are the completed crackers.


And the final plate.  I loved this dish, it was crunchy, crispy and flavorful. I paired the dish with a Spanish red wine from the Navarra region of the country.  I don't know a lot about wines but it's only natural to present a dish who's primary ingredient is a cheese from Navarra with a wine from Navarra. 


No comments:

Post a Comment