Friday, February 22, 2013

Sausage Arrabita Gnocchi

So this is the second of four gnocchi dishes that are on the docket here pretty soon.  I'm so glad I've figured out how to make gnocchi properly, light, but substantive.  Basically, you know you're eating what is essentially a pasta but it doesn't set up in your stomach like a brick and you can enjoy the other stuff in the dish.

 So this is everything you need.  Onions, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, yellow pepper, sweet italian sausage, garlic, parmesan, basil, potato dough, olive oil, salt, pepper and white wine.  The dough is really simple and I made it the last time I had gnocchi.  The dough consists entirely of potato, flour and egg.

 I browned off the sausage in some olive oil.


 Once the sausage was brown, the onions, garlic and yellow pepper went in for a few minutes until the veggies were cooked.  Then the halved tomatoes went in.  This mixture sat until the gnocchi was ready.

I didn't get a picture of it but I rolled out the dough into little logs and cut the little pillows (the english translation for gnocchi) and t hen boiled them off in some salted water.

The cooked gnocchi.  Don't they sort of look like little pillows?

Now that the gnocchi was boiled, I sauteed them off in some butter to crisp up the outside.

I combined the gnocchi with the sausage mixture which had since had basil added to it and then the whole mixture was topped with some shaved parmesan.









No comments:

Post a Comment