Monday, December 10, 2012

Spoonbread

So this dish was from last Thursday night.  I'm in the sort of side dish portion of Bobby Flay's cook book which is part of the reason why you're seeing so many steaks and the like.  This time though I made some chicken.  The spoonbread is basically a souffle, this version had a lot of oregano in it.

 I know it looks like a lot of  ingredients, and it is, but it was really easy to put togther. 

 Here the mixture starts to come together.  This includes, milk, buttermilk, egg yolks, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, cayenne, butter and garlic.

 I took the egg whites that had been separated from the yolks and whipped them in the mixer until they reached stiff peaks.

 The next step was to fold in the egg whites.  The amount of egg whites is what makes this essentially a souffle.  Those egg whites give the mixture plenty of climbing power and poofiness after it goes into the oven.

 The final step was to mix in the chives, oregeano and a little bit of parmesan.

 The mixure went into a baking dish.  The recipe called for a 12x12 pan and at this point I was really scared I was going to end up with a hot eggy mess on the bottom of my oven.

 While the bread baked I prepped the chicken.  I went with the basic seasonings of salt and pepper.

 The skin side went into the pan first and this is the chicken after searing the skin off.

 Success, no egg mixture on the bottom of the oven. 

The final plate, not the finest presentation but the bread was truly spoon bread.  It was so soft and tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment