Saturday, December 22, 2012

Simple

It's been a strange week here in my house.  Been busy at work, plus haven't had much to cook after one of my planned recipes got nixed due to the primary component not being in season.  Oops.  Monday I had leftovers, I made these potato tacos on Tuesday, Wednesday leftovers, Thursday was supposed to be my brother's birthday which the weather cancelled so leftovers.  Now that it's the weekend, I'm planning on getting back in the kitchen.  I cooked last night, which will be the subject of a blog later on, I'll have an Alinea at home post for you maybe later today (a week late I know, I'll get into that later) and then I'll make dinner again tomorrow night. 

Anywho, on the real reason that you're here, the food. 

 So here's the stuff for the taco fillings.  Potatoes, olive oil, monterrey jack cheese, flour tortillas and a bit of ancho chili powder. 

 In order to cook the potatoes I roasted them off whole in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes after seasonoing them with a bit of salt and pepper.

 While the potatoes were roasting I prepped the poblano sauce.  Poblano peppers, spinach, lime, onion, honey salt and olive oil.


This is example #3,358,259 why I had to have a gas stove when I bought my house.  I roasted off the peppers by just setting them over the open flame for about 10 minutes.  What you see here, probably would have taken an hour under the broiler. 

So once the peppers were done, I peeled the blackened skin off and pureed all of the ingredients in a blender and this was the lovely result.  Honestly, I was a bit scared of this sauce.  Poblanos are supposed to be a pretty mild pepper basically between a bell pepper and a jalapeno on the heat scale, but I've had some not so pleasant experiences with them.  I made this hoping it wouldn't set my mouth on fire.  Thankfully, it didn't.

Next step was to prep the tacos.  I took the flour tortillas, put cheese on 1/2 topped it with some sliced potatoes, folded the tortillas over and then brushed a little olive oil on then a sprinkle of the ancho chile powder.  These babies then baked off in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes.


Here are the completed tacos.


This is the final plate, I probably should have put the sauce in a squeeze bottle rather than the spoon but oh well.  Either way, these were delicious.  Very simple to make for those nights where you're running around like crazy or when you don't get home from work until 5:45 and still need to go to the grocery store and then its suddenly 7 PM and you haven't changed your clothes yet. 







No comments:

Post a Comment