Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Saurerbraten

Literally translated, pickled beef from German this was an interesting riff  on a pot roast.  I wasn't sure what to think with this one due to the amount of vinegar in the marinade.  This is a dish that I've never had before, though making it was kind of fun it does take a long time.  So away we go.

 The ingredients for the marinade.  Water, cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, pepper, salt, onions, carrots, junipers berries, cloves and mustard seeds.   All the ingredients were combined and simmered until the mixture boiled.

 The ingredients for the beef, london broil (the recipe called for a bottom round and I figured any tough cut of beef would work), salt pepper, and peanut oil.

 I seasoned the beef and then seared it off quickly on both sides.

 The marinade ready to go.

 The completed beef.

 In order to pickle the beef, the meat sat in the marinade in the fridge for three days.  After the beef marinated, it went into a 325 degree oven for four hours.  This was the beef after it had finished cooking.

The final plate.  I'm pretty pleased with this plate but the meat was freaking sawdust.  I'm not sure if I just didn't have enough liquid in the pan or if I just cooked it too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment