Sunday, January 27, 2013

Swedish Meatballs

It's kind of funny how things work out sometimes. I've been thinking about making this dish for a while and then this week for the first time I see this commercial on ESPN:



The Swedish Chef might be might favorite Muppets character of all time, right up there with Statler and Waldorf.

So enough reminiscing about my childhood and on to the food.

Here's all the stuff you need, onion, beef broth, milk, salt, nutmeg, butter, bread, allspice, ground pork, ground beef, cream, pepper, flour and egg.

I sweated the onions in the butter until they started turn just a little big brown.

In a bowl I had mixed all the ingredients except the onions, beef broth and cream.  Once the onions were cooked I added them to the mixture and combined.

Now for the fun part, forming the meatballs.  Normally I wouldn't weigh them, but since Swedish Meatballs are supposed to be more of a party snack I felt like it was a good idea.  So I made sure the meatballs all weight in at about an ounce. 

Once the meatballs were formed I sauteed them off in a pan until they formed a crust.

Once all the meatballs had been seared they went into the oven to stay warm/finish cooking.

Now for the sauce, the beef broth and flour went into the pan with some of the grease from the meatballs.  Once that mixture had thickened a bit I added the cream and the picture above was the result.

The final plate.  It was a very solid dish.  Not something I would probably make again but easy to make if you're pressed for time.







No comments:

Post a Comment