Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Smoky Grits Souffle and Shrimp Creole

So only a week back in town and I'm already behind in my blogging.  So here we are rebooting a little bit.  The first dish up this week was a second version of a souffle.  This version was made from yellow cornmeal rather than flour and was actually really delicious.


This is the stuff for the souffle, smoked gouda, yellow cornmeal, milk, salt, water, cream of tartar, cayenne, white pepper, green onions, eggs and ham.

The first step was to bring the water and milk to a simmer and then whisk in the corn meal and let the whole mixture simmer until lit was thick.


 Once the girts had thickened, the green onions, ham, cheese, and seasonings were mixed in.

Once the base of the souffle was done I put the egg whites in a mixer and whipped them until the whites reached stiff peaks. 

I then folded in the egg whites gently and then put them into souffle dishes and baked them for about 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven.










While the souffle was baking I started in on the creole.  Here we have parsley, garlic, okra, shrimp, celery, sherry, coriander, cayenne, cumin, paprika, flour, onion, honey, chicken broth, green pepper, and worcestshire sauce.

The first step was to sautee off the onions, green pepper, and celery along with the seasonings.  Once the veggies were done I deglazed the pan with the sherry, and chicken broth.  and let the whole mixture reduce until it was thickened.



Once thick, I added the shrimp until they were cooked and then I put in the okra and parsley.

This is the completed creole.

This was the final plate.  I hate to admit it to you but there was supposed to be tomato paste and diced tomatoes in the creole and I forgot to buy both of them when I was at the store.  When I realized that I didn't have all the ingredients I freaked because I thought the dish was really going to miss them.  Thank God, but I didn't even notice there was no tomato in there.  This was an really fun meal to make. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment