Monday, October 29, 2012

Split Pea Burgers

So this is quite a departure from my norm.  I'm a full fledged carnivore.  I tend to take the Anthony Bourdain philosophy "It's not that I don't think vegetarian food can be good, I just think it can be helped greatly by the addition of animal protein or fats."  This recipe didn't do anything to change that stance. 

 Here's everything you need.  Mushrooms, Bell Pepper, wild rice, garlic, onion, cumin, fennel seed (should have been coriander), vegetable stock, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and split peas.

 The onions got sweated off first in a bit of olive oil.  Then the bell pepper, garlic and mushrooms were added until soft.

 After the veggies were completed the stock, and spices were added along with the rice and split peas.  I didn't get a before picture but the whole mixture was simmered off for an hour and this was the result.

 After the mixture finished cooking I put it in a blender and took it for a spin then put in a bowl and added a bit of bread crumbs.  Then I made burgers and dusted those before putting them in a non-stick pan with a bit of oil.

 The burger halfway through the cooking process.

 The completed burger.

The finished plate.  While not horrible, after one bite I already missed the beef.  Sorry to any vegetarians out there, I'm going to continue to eat bleeding flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment