Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Next at Home: Tour of Thailand: Practice Iced Tea

So, this is the final dish on cooking my way through the Tour of Thailand menu before I do this whole thing for people who know Thai food.  It's a little bit of an unceremonious way to end the menu but it was actually delicious.


So the start of this dish as the title indicates was tea.  Two different teas in fact, regular black tea and Rooisbos Tea from South Africa.  I heated the water to a boil and then let the tea steep for about 20 minutes.

Once the tea steeped it was time to add the ingredients that make this thai inspired.  I say inspired because I don't think Thai people actually drink tea, but don't quote me on that.  So in typical Thai fashion there is a sour component, tamarind paste, sweet component, sweetened condensed milk and palm sugar. 

Everything got mixed together and went into the fridge until ready to serve.

I'll admit the plating was a bit of a cop out, but it didn't really affect the flavor.  I promise for the real deal I'll have something better.

Overall, this dish surprised me, especially since I'm not really a tea or coffee drinker. 

I'm shooting for Feb 7 or 21 for the whole thing, and I already have an order placed for a component I need to pull that off.  I can't wait for my family to eat this. 

Also, I'm timing things really well as my first 2015 trip to Next is coming up on Jan 18.  This one is a French Bistro menu.  They've advertised the early portion of this menu as a 6 course menu with several supplemental courses to buy at the restaurant.  To say I'm looking forward to this menu would be an understatement.  Hoping to have that post up by the 19th but no promises.



No comments:

Post a Comment