Monday, March 11, 2013

Hot and Sour Soup

So like I said in my last post, life has just been insane these last couple weeks.  When I get this busy cooking becomes kind of a chore.  I still try to do it to maintain my schedule and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  Either way I certainly like seeing easy dishes like this one on the docket during times like this. 

Now if you've read this blog for any length of time you know my disdain towards vegetarians.  Given that knowledge, a logical conclusion is that tofu would be like my kryptonite.  I almost feel embarrassed when I buy it.  But I toughed it out and cooked with it this time.

The other primary ingredient in this dish was pork.  So hopefully the food gods will forgive me for using tofu.  The pork was sliced thin and marinated in soy sauce, sesame oil and a bit of corn starch.

This is the rest of the ingredients for the soup.  Chicken broth, bamboo shoot (which were surprisingly easy to find), shiitake mushrooms, green onions and the sour component balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar.

So I think I missed some pictures along the way, but this is the base of the soup.  Chicken broth, bamboo shoot and the mushrooms.  I let this mixture simmer for a few minutes until the mushrooms were cooked.

I then added the pork, vinegar and green onions and again let it cook until the pork was cooked through. 

I put the mixture in a bowl and hit it with a bit of fresh green onions. 

Like I said this was a nice easy dish on a very busy night.  It's also nice to see that a dish that is so poorly done in faux chinese restaurants can be done so well at home.






No comments:

Post a Comment