Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ribeye, Potatoes, Cilantro Pesto

I know it's a theme that I've banged repeatedly on this site, but I don't care.  Steak and potatoes are the quintessential pair and I want to cook them as often as possible.  I also think this is the perfect way to jump back into the blog.  I promise I've got more interesting stuff to come over the Labor Day weekend, but for now you'll have to deal with simple.

 Here's everything you need for this dish.  A gorgeous ribeye steak, salt, pepper, cilantro, garlic, potatoes, lime and pine nuts.

The potatoes got a medium dice and then were placed on a sheet pan with olive oil, salt and pepper.  They then went into a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes.

Pine nuts are an indispensable part of any pesto, and when they are toasted they are even better.  Here, about a tablespoon of pine nuts went into a dry saute pan to toast until golden brown.  
 Here are the completed pine nuts.  The key when cooking with pine nuts is that they are pretty high in fat/oil content so they can burn very easily, so be careful not to burn them.

I love steak, as you well know.  I especially love steak when purchased at Fresh Market.  But if you know me well at all you know I could care less about grass fed, or organic, or antibiotic free.  I'm pretty sure that Fresh Market primarily sells all of that stuff in an effort to be a small town version of Whole Foods.  However, the thing I love best about Fresh Market, is that they pretentious about it at all.  None of this you should shop with us because our stuff is better because it's all that marketing BS.  I'm of the belief that organic has been the farmer's best marketing plan ever.  Hey, we can charge a huge premium for stuff that tastes the same as conventionally grown stuff.  BRILLIANT! 
 Here are the finished potatoes.  They of course were delicious.
 The steak went onto a screaming hot grill.  Unfortunately, my grill is at the end of it's useful life.  I'm down to two working burners and it's about ready to fall apart from being so rusted.  I'll be replacing it in the spring, but for now this will have to do.
The final plate.  I apparently didn't get any pictures of the cilantro pesto being made.  But it's easy, the cilantro, garlic, pine nuts, salt pepper and a bit of olive oil went into the blender and resulted in the sauce you see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment